Viewing 6 topics - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Topic
    • Voices
    • WOOLY! For me, Wooly committing suicide was extremely emotional.  Handicapped people are so discriminated against!  I wished so badly that he could have gone with Emmett, and been with people who accepted him. I’ve talked to others who thought his death was sad, but necessary in the context of the book and the ending of the book. What did you think?

Started by: Nancy Bethel

• 10 months, 1 week ago

Jeanne

• Stand up as a modern Odyssey? I read a review that loved how this was a modern take on The Odyssey by Homer. I had to agree. The Odyssey has certainly stood the test of time in classic literature. I loved how these modern characters, too, continued forward, always seeking. Better yet, rather than just stay true to Homer’s original there are twists more of the characters’ creating and less of gods’ creating. The imperfect characters drive the plot more than fate.

Started by: Kris Ingra

• 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Sheridan

• The Ending Someone told me that the ending was perfect and exactly how it had to be. I don’t really understand that. What did you think of the ending?

• 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Kris Ingra

• FAVORITE QUOTES What are some of your favorite quotes from the book?  Here’s one of mine: <p class="p1"><span class="s1">“Emmett was raised to hold no man in disdain. To hold another man in disdain, his father would say, presumed that you knew so much about his lot, so much about his intentions, about his actions both public and private that you could rank his character against your own without fear of misjudgment.”</span></p> Here’s another: <span class="s1">”—Well, that’s life in a nutshell, ain’t it. Lovin’ to go to one place and havin’ to go to another.” </span> I do love Amor Towles!

• 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Nancy Bethel

Viewing 6 topics - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to create new topics.