Viewing 5 topics - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Topic
    • Voices
    • Dr. Wong What are your thoughts on Dr. Wong's methods for examining and treating women? How important would it have been for women to have access to a female physician?

Started by: Patty O’Connor

• 8 months, 1 week ago

Amy V

• Isolation I gasped when Yunxian's mother was dying, and it was the first time she had seen men outside of her father and brother. Can you imagine being seen as the wealthy elite of society, but then having your world be so, so small? Was anyone else surprised by the isolation of women, not just within their own town or estate, but to a sub-section of their home?

Started by: MelissaFromBookGirlsGuide

• 8 months, 2 weeks ago

MelissaFromBookGirlsGuide

• Yunxian and Meiling Tan Yunxian and Meiling are lifelong friends. Why do you think Yunxian's grandmother and Meiling's mother encouraged them to become friends? Considering their widely divergent backgrounds, how were they able to maintain their friendship?

Started by: Patty O’Connor

• 8 months, 2 weeks ago

MelissaFromBookGirlsGuide

• Foot Binding… My goodness, a lot of this book was educational and shocking to me. I knew foot binding existed from seeing photos a couple of times over the years, but my knowledge was limited. I was horrified reading so many of the details - from how torturous the process was, to how the young girls were brainwashed, to how difficult it made it to walk, to the final topper - that defiguring yourself was then used for a man's pleasure in the bedroom. I thought the juxtaposition of the lower class not having to endure this torture and being looked down upon as being "big footed" was fascinating as well. "

Started by: MelissaFromBookGirlsGuide

• 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Patty O’Connor

Viewing 5 topics - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to create new topics.