Viewing 7 topics - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Topic
    • Voices
    • Amor Towles I loved A Gentleman in Moscow so much that I decided to read all of Towles’ books. I like them all, but Gentleman was my favorite, then Lincoln, then Rules. What was your favorite of Towles’ books?

Started by: Nancy Bethel

• 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Nancy Bethel

• Recipe One of the women in my local book club just hosted The Lincoln Highway. She shared this with us and I thought I would pass it on here. Do any of you like recipes associated with your reading?   <p data-originalfontsize="18px" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">“Fettucine Mio Amore, is the dish that Duchess makes for Emmett, Woolly, Billy, and Sally on their last night together. Here’s the recipe:</p> <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">1/4 cup olive oil <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">1 large or two small onions, halved and thinly sliced <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">1 pound of smoked American bacon, cut crosswise into ¼ inch strips <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">1 bay leaf <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">3/4 cup dry white wine <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">1 teaspoon oregano <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">1 teaspoon red pepper flakes <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">3/4 cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (and not an ounce more!) <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">½ cup chicken broth <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">½ cup parmesan <li data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18"><em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="18">Fettuccine for four, preferably fresh, cooked until al dente <em data-removefontsize="true" data-originalcomputedfontsize="17.5">In a reasonably deep saucepan, cook the onions in the olive oil until soft and translucent, then set the onions aside. In the same pan, fry the bacon with the bay leaf until the bacon is brown but not crisp.  Pour off most, but not all of the bacon fat. Add back the onions, the white wine, and let simmer for a few minutes. Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, oregano and pepper flakes, stir and let simmer another ten minutes. (Add a little more chicken broth as necessary, if the sauce is drying out.) Toss about 1/4 of the sauce with the cooked fettuccine and parmesan, divide the pasta on the plates, then spoon the rest of the sauce on top of the pasta. Serves four.”

Started by: Kris Ingra

• 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Kris Ingra

• Duchess – Sociopath I had a friend (a judge) who described Duchess as a sociopath. I did not see him that way.  Altho he certainly overreacted, and in inappropriate ways. What did you think?

• 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Kris Ingra

• The Lincoln Highway- a dream “Well, that’s life in a nutshell, ain’t it. Lovin’ to go to one place and havin’ to go to another.” Why do you think Towles chose the Lincoln Highway as their dream? I’m not sure.  Because it was new and would take them to their destination?

• 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Kris Ingra

• Woolly dying- perfect ending??? I was heartbroken when Woolly killed himself.  I don’t cry at books (much 😊), but I cried about this. People with handicaps are sooooo discriminated against! Why couldn’t he have gone with Emmett? Someone said the book had to end the way it did- it was a perfect ending. Why???

• 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Kris Ingra

Viewing 7 topics - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to create new topics.