‘Til the Well Runs Dry by Lauren Francis-Sharma

Forums 2024 Reading Challenge Discussion Groups ICYMI: Books Published in 2014 ‘Til the Well Runs Dry by Lauren Francis-Sharma

Viewing topic 1 (of 1 total)
    • Topic
    • Voices
    • New setting typical read I picked the book because the setting was unique ( at least for me) Set in Trinidad/Tobago in the mid 20th century its the story of a girl Marcia Garcia  and her struggles. Touches upon the politics of the islands, independence from Britain, corruption , racism, classism as well as the typical bad behavior of the men.<span class="spoilerContainer"> From rape of two young teens from an uncle and more concern of the men's reputations that care of the girls, women's survival and the shame, Male char having to deal with racial slurs but then not defending his wife from slurs from his family . I found the struggles to be not that different of many historical novels set in many other countries esp where men dictating what is to be and then leaving the woman to deal with the impact.</span>

Started by: Carol V

• 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Carol V

Viewing topic 1 (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to create new topics.

Forums 2024 Reading Challenge Discussion Groups ICYMI: Books Published in 2014 ‘Til the Well Runs Dry by Lauren Francis-Sharma