The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar

Forums 2024 Reading Challenge Discussion Groups ICYMI: Books Published in 2012 The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar

Viewing 2 topics - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Topic
    • Voices
    • If You Finished, How DId You Rate This Book? I finished the book a couple of days ago.  I was torn between 3.5-4 starts (on a 5 star scale).  I ultimately gave it 4 starts.  I thought it was an interesting, well-written book that was definitely heavy on character development rather than plot (which I don't mind).  Because this book touched on so many darker topics, such as terminal illness, spousal abuse, sexual assault, religious persecution), it was a heavy read.  I think that alone made it a like, not a love, for me.  My biggest criticism of the book was that the ending was abrupt and a little too open-ended for my personal taste.  I know the characters definitely evolved as the story progressed, but I would have liked at least an epilogue to see how certain things played out, especially with Iqbal.  The airport scene made me so sad, and it had potential ramifications for so many characters. We never even saw the reunion of friends in the United States, which was the main driver of the story.  Therefore, while the author deftly wove together a lot of issues and painted a picture of life in India that I found fascinating, the book left me a bit unsatisfied. Just curious what others think?

Started by: Christine

• 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Heidi

Viewing 2 topics - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to create new topics.

Forums 2024 Reading Challenge Discussion Groups ICYMI: Books Published in 2012 The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar