Viewing 6 topics - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Topic
    • Voices
    • Historical Fiction I love the weaving in of actual historical events into this book, including the music references, like the Patsy Cline songs on the radio right after her death, mention of the song “It’s My Party,” and references to Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones songs.  It’s like I could actually hear the songs and that adds so much to a scene you’re reading about. While the murder of Medgar Evers really happened and is very depressing, I love how the author uses that event as the catalyst for the other maids telling their stories to Skeeter.

Started by: Stacy Asell

• 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Kathleen Witt

• Misconceptions After reading, "The Help, " I found that it highlighted some misconceptions I had about the Civil Rights era. For instance, I did not fully realize the diversity of people's feelings/attitudes toward the movement. I was fascinated to read about each character's unique reactions to the events going on around them. Did any parts of this novel, challenge your understanding of this era?

Started by: Lori Manning

• 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Beth H

• Cancer Was anyone else surprised that Skeeter’s mom survived her cancer?  I wonder why the author made this choice.

• 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Stacy Asell

• Manny and Celia As much as I’ve been complaining about the over-representation of the love between white people and their black maids in this book, I really enjoyed the relationship dynamic between Minny and Celia.  I loved how Minny was able to finally speak her mind in Celia’s house without getting into trouble.  I wished that she could’ve worked for Celia sooner so she wouldn’t have had to deal with Hilly and her mom.  Although then we wouldn’t have the pie story.  😂  I felt bad for Celia when she got blamed for signing Hilly up for the pie at the banquet, but it was hilarious to find out Mrs. Walters did it. And should we discuss Celia’s infertility?  Poor thing.  I was so glad that Minny didn’t go home instead of coaxing Celia to open the bathroom door.  I wouldn’t have liked to see Celia die in this book.  And I was glad that Minny didn’t have to fish the fetus out of the toilet.  Minny might have been paid well but not enough to do that!

• 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Stacy Asell

• Constantine Wow.  Constantine’s is a terribly sad, tragic story.  I can only try to imagine how difficult it must be to give up a baby for adoption right after birth; the immense and immediate love I had for my babies as soon as I held them was overwhelming.  But then to give up your child at the age of four!  You’ve seen so many milestones and experiences: first rollover, first tooth, crawling, walking, first spoken word, all of the cuddles and things you’ve taught the child.  So painful.  And to leave your child at an orphanage, no less.  And the reason for giving her up.  Ugh.  Seems unfathomable today, thank goodness.  But that kind of intense racism also supports my statement in the Misconceptions post about how this book (and the movie) over-represents the love between white families and their black maids at the time.  I’m sure it happened some, but not as much as what we saw in the book.

• 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Stacy Asell

Viewing 6 topics - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to create new topics.